Tuesday, December 18, 2012

He can hear!

Like we had any doubts.


Jim is disgusted that we'd even doubt his hearing abilities.

But anyway, as I mentioned before, we set up appointments for him to see an audiologist and speech pathologist to make sure there's no physical cause behind his lack of talking, and the audiologist part was yesterday. Bright and early, too - Jim and I had to get up at 5 in the morning to take Noah in to work so we could have the car. Yaaaawwwwn. Jim liked it better than I did.


Fortunately, Jim's always up to put things to the test.

The actual visit was fun. Jim had a great time charging around the waiting room while I filled out insurance papers, and then he had even more fun getting tests done. It didn't take long at all. First she let him listen to an ipod with each ear to see if he could hear it, and then we sat in a sound booth. That was the best part. The booth was dark and boring. One corner held a chair for us to sit in, and to the left and right were speakers with dark boxes on top of them. She'd play a quiet noise from a speaker in one corner, and if he turned his head to look at it, he was rewarded with the box flashing to reveal a creepy moth-eaten stuffed raccoon. Naturally, Jim loved it.


And the verdict is... Good!

After about two minutes of the sound booth, the audiologist just started laughing and said there was no reason to keep going, because his hearing is exemplary. So, well done, Jim! We've got our appointment with the speech pathologist first thing in the morning December 26th, so that should be a jolly bonus Christmas present. If you can think of anything else that would be fun to test, let us know. Jim loves doctor visits.

4 comments:

Oma said...

Rhianna used to get excited about seeing the dentist. She'd get really happy when the reminder card came in the mail and couldn't wait to go. Glad he liked the test, I think he'll do fine with the audiologist too. I spoke with a speech pathologist about Noah and had him talk with her informally when I had concerns about his speech. It's great that you have such good insurance. Sure makes things easier when you have concerns. See you all soon. Hugs to my messy boy.

Emmy said...

Second picture of Jim is a face that I will henceforth refer to as Inquisitive Cow.

Maureen Payne said...

Maybe Jim doesn't have much to say yet. Its good that he can hear and was having fun during the tests. I think the first picture is his rocking out face.

Ma said...

All right, I'm having violent Clint Eastwood type thoughts when I look at the pics. !st pic: Go ahead, make my day. 2nd pic: You want a piece of me me, punk? Huh? 3rd pic: Wait a sec, I'll beat the crap out of you as soon as I'm done eating. (Har) In the real world, though, Jimbo really likes what's in that bowl. I remember a few weeks ago when I was there, how I found out pizza is his favorite food. The whole time he was eating, his "good" finger would go in the air every couple of seconds.