Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A mighty triumph.




Despite my apparent emotional turbulence, I'm actually moderately pleased with how it turned out. I only screwed up a couple of things. The bit where the top part and the skirt are joined together is kind of rugged on the edges, and the buttonhole is terrible, but hey, it's actually finished, and it is recognizably an apron.

Also, the button on the back of the behind-the-head straps is shaped like a fishy.

On the up side, the terrible photo quality partially masks the horror of the buttonhole itself.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Also, what in tarnation does one do with beets?

So I went to the farmers' market this morning and got a ton of stuff, including some pretty and brightly-colored beets, and now I realize that I have no idea how to cook beets. Good thing I like experimenting.

How to complete a sewing project with a cat in the room.

Step 1: Hope the cat's interest does not increase.

Step 2: Curse your naivety.

Step 3: Remove cat to couch, where he will look forlorn.

Step 4: Insert one pin.

Repeat steps 1-4 until cat tires of pincushions and crinkly pattern paper and decides to helpfully cover fabric stash with cat hair.

Step 5: Eat ice cream and/or take nap.

I actually did manage to finish this. I'll take some pictures eventually and post them up to demonstrate my improbable success.